10/16/2003

Below is the text of a letter I sent to Ohio's Secretary of State, Mr J. Kenneth Blackwell, in support of his petition drive to rescind the recent state sales tax increase. Feel free to copy and paste a portion, or the entirety, of the following as the basis for your letter to the Secretary. But please do write him some message of support in any case!

---------------------------------
14 October 2003

J. Kenneth Blackwell
Ohio Secretary of State
180 E. Broad St. 16th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215

Dear Mr Blackwell:

I read with great interest an editorial in today’s Wall Street Journal, entitled “Arnold of Ohio,” which describes your efforts to force the state legislature to either rescind the recent sales tax increase outright, or to submit it to a popular vote. I wish to add my voice to those who desire a public referendum on the recently enacted sales tax increase, and to thank you for your principled efforts to this end.

I am well aware of the state’s current budget deficit, but I believe the first response to a budget crisis should be restraint of spending, not raising of taxes. When I have a personal budget shortfall, my first remedy is to reduce some spending, not to demand a raise from my employer, which merely rewards and encourages undisciplined spending. I expect the same discipline from my elected representatives in state government.

I am a registered Republican, and often vote for Republicans for state office in recognition of their usual preference for spending restraint and fiscal discipline. But I am sufficiently disappointed in this response to the budget deficit that I will gladly vote for any candidate, of either party, who adopts fiscal discipline and restraint of spending as their primary tools for balancing the state budget. My taxes are altogether high enough, and I’ve no intention of supporting taxes which are still higher.

If you will kindly forward me a petition form, I will provide my signature and will gather the signatures of my family and friends who agree with your proposed measure. It will be my pleasure to be of service to you in this effort.

I can be reached by regular mail, or by email, at the above addresses.

Sincerely,

cc:
Governor Bob Taft
30th Floor
77 South High Street
Columbus, OH 43215-6117

Senator Randy Gardner
Senate Building
Room #220, Second Floor
Columbus, OH 43215

Representative Lynn Olman
77 South High Street
13th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215-6111

---------------------------------
If you don't know who your state senator is, or how to contact him, you can look that up here.
If you don't know who your state representative is, or how to contact him, you can look that up here.

And don't forget to copy Governor Taft!

No comments: